2. Name of the Programme: Certificate in Water Harvesting Management (CWHM) (Distance Learning Programme)
3. Duration: Minimum Duration: 6 Months. Maximum Duration: 2 Years.
4. No. of Seats: Flexible
5. Brief write-up on the Programme: This programme is offered by School of Agriculture of IGNOU and has been developed in collaboration with the IGNOU Regional Centre, Delhi-2.
There is an urgent need for not only conservation of water resources but also its augmentation through effective strategies and management, particularly in view of ever-rising demand for water. Rain-water harvesting essentially means collection and storage of the rain-water from roof-tops or from surface catchments for future use. Despite various initiatives including legislative measures, very little rainfall is conserved and harvested. This calls for an immediate requirement of generating mass awareness and dissemination of skills through trained human resources about rain-water harvesting techniques and management for the optimal use of harvested water by all concerned.
The programme aims at sensitising and educating students on augmentation and utilisation of water resources; imparting knowledge, skills and expertise to understand water harvesting techniques; and enabling learners to act as trainers and organisers at household and community levels for efficient water management in terms of its usage and also for water conservation.
This programme would especially be useful for those living in water-scarce and also drought-prone areas. Residents of urban and rural areas particularly youth, house-wives, social-workers, volunteers working with NGOs, government functionaries dealing with Water Harvesting projects, would find this certificate programme very useful.
To receive this certification, a student has to complete the 3 theory courses and also undergo 15-days practical training at a specified Programme Study Centre water harvesting agency.
- 10th pass.
- Bachelor Preparatory Programme (BPP) from IGNOU. The minimum age for admission to the BPP programme is 18 years. Therefore, the minimum age for 10th pass students taking simultaneous admission for the BPP and Certificate Programme is 18 years.
7. Student Support Activities:
- Learning Material: The printed study material is sent to the registered students at home by post.
- Audio-Visual Learning Aids: The learning package also contains audio and video cassettes and CDs which have been produced by the University. A video programme is usually of 25-30 minutes duration. These programmes can be heard/viewed at the Study Centre during specific sessions, or purchased for use at home.
- Counselling: Counselling sessions are held according to a schedule drawn up by the Study Centre Coordinator, usually during week-ends.
- TV Counselling and Tele-Conferencing: Through Gyan Darshan Channels and EduSat. One Gyan Darshan channel is available on DTH platform.
- Radio Counselling: Through phone-in programmes on AIR and Gyan Vani.
8. Programme Fee: Rs. 1600/-. Fee concession is available to the following category of students:
- All the candidates from the rural areas shall be entitled for 50 per cent fee concession subject to the production of domicile certificates.
- The urban students below poverty line may also be given 50 percent fee concession subject to production of income certificate.
9. Job Opportunities: Certificate-holders will be fully-equipped to serve various Government and Non-Government Organizations (NGOs) dealing with Water Harvesting Projects, Urban Housing Boards, Private Real Estate Builders, Soil Conservation Departments and Government Water Boards as Water Harvesting Assistants.
10. Contact Details:
Er. Mukesh Kumar,
Assistant Professor & Programme Coordinator,
School of Agriculture,
G-Block, Zakir Hussain Bhawan, New Academic Complex,
IGNOU, Maidan Garhi,
New Delhi – 110068.
Dr. Sanjeev Pandey,
Regional Director Delhi-2 & Programme Coordinator,
IGNOU Regional Centre.
Gandhi Smriti & Darshan Samiti, Rajghat,
New Delhi – 110002
11. Useful Links:
Click here to find Regional Study Centres in your city.