2. Name of the Programme: Ph.D. in Forestry
3. Duration: 4 Years
4. No. of Seats: Not Specified.
5. Brief write-up on the Programme: A student can pursue research at FRI University or any of recognized research centers of FRI or ICFRE spread all over the country, leading to an award of Ph.D. degree. The research facilities in the field of forestry and allied subjects at the FRI University are amongst the best in the country. At present, over 443 research scholars are registered for Ph.D. at the FRI University. Till now, 303 Ph.D. degrees have been awarded.
A candidate may select a field of study out of the following: Silviculture, Forest Seed Technology, Forest Genetics, Forest Botany, Forest Pathology, Forest Entomology, Soil Science, Forest Ecology & Environment, Forest Management, Wood Science & Technology, Chemistry of Forest Products, Pulp & Paper Technology, Forestry Extension, Non-Wood Forest Products (NWFP), Forest Biotechnology, Forest Bio-informatics, Environment Management, Wildlife Science, Forest Geo-informatics, Forest Hydrology, Plant Physiology, Application of Information Technology in Forestry.
A candidate shall ordinarily be permitted to work for Ph.D. Degree in the subject in whom he/she has obtained his/her Master’s Degree and/or Post–Graduate Diploma (recognized by FRI University / UGC equivalent to Master’s Degree).
6. Eligibility: The eligibility criteria for registration as Ph.D. student are that a candidate must:
(a) Hold a Master’s degree or its equivalent from any recognized university or institute.
(b) Have 55% marks or above in Post Graduate examination.
(c) Have the supervisor/guide from FRI or its research centers and co-guide may be from outside.
(d) A student can apply for his Ph.D. either in March or September in a calendar year.
7. Selection Criteria: The admission to the Ph.D. Programme of the FRI University shall be through Written Entrance Test followed by an Interview which shall be organized in all the recognized research centres of the FRI University simultaneously every year as far as possible. The vacancies shall be obtained in advance from Research Centres / Head of Divisions of FRI. The declared vacancies shall then be notified on the website and will be filled up as per the rules.
The candidates who have qualified UGC / CSIR (JRF) Examination / GATE / NET will be allowed to appear for the Interview directly without appearing in the Written Entrance Test. There will be no entrance test for the ICFRE employees or those on deputation to ICFRE.
8. Reservation of Seats: While granting admission to students to Ph.D. Programmes, the University will pay due attention to the Government’s Reservation Policy.
9. Tentative Dates/Months related to Admission:
Registration in Ph.D.: Candidates registering for Ph.D. Programme shall be registered w.e.f. 1st March / 1st September as the case may be subject to date of approval of the synopsis by Research Advisory Committee (RAC) of FRI University.
Submission of Synopsis: The candidate will be normally required to submit their approved synopsis by the end of April for registration in the March session.
Admission (Written Test): The exam will be conducted once a year preferably during the month of May.
10. Contact Details:
Mr. T. C. Nautiyal,
Forest Research Institute (FRI) University,
(Indian Council of Forestry Research and Education),
P.O. IPE, Kaulagarh Road,
Dehradun – 248195 (Uttarakhand).
Telephone: + 91-135-2751826
11. URL (for Ph.D. in Forestry): http://fri.icfre.gov.in/index.php?linkid=sublnk94t343&link=1&&lid=left52t3151&ppp=sublnk94t343
Website: http://fri.icfre.gov.in / http://www.icfre.gov.in