The Master’s Programme in Sustainable Development Practice [MA (SDP)] is the two-year full-time programme introduced by TERI University in 2010 which seeks to address the critical gap in Sustainable Development education in South and South-East Asia region where such capacity creation is required the most. The programme is designed based upon the recommendations of the global situation analysis of development training programmes undertaken during 2007-08 by the International Commission on Education for Sustainable Development Practice.
The MA (SDP) aims to develop an international cadre of development professionals well-equipped to tackle, beyond cultural boundaries and across sectoral divisions, the inter-woven challenges of extreme poverty, disease, climate change and ecosystem vulnerability, specific to the region. The programme has strong cross-disciplinary, cross-sectoral orientation and a practice focus.
TERI University is one of the 22 universities worldwide selected by the MacArthur Foundation, to receive seed funding to create this Programme, which is globally recognized as Master’s in Development Practice (MDP).
- Students would learn the latest practices in sustainable development from international practitioners and academicians from our partner universities and research institutes.
- Pedagogy strongly focuses on problem-based learning, case studies, seminars, and field visits. The group practicums integrate knowledge and skills taught in the course. Field visits allow students to learn and use practical skills to analyze and solve development problems holistically.
- Specializations in Renewable Energy, Agriculture and Food Security, Urban Governance, Infrastructure and Climate Change.
- Preparatory and mid-term seminars and workshops on basic subjects like communication skills and advanced quantitative techniques to enable students from diverse backgrounds to cope with the intensive coursework.
- Students will also take the “Global Classroom: Integrated Approaches to Sustainable Development Practice”, an interactive course blending on-line and off-line learning led by some of the top experts in the field. This course fosters cross-border and cross-disciplinary collaboration, and allows students and teachers to participate in collective assignments and learning experiences.
Who Should Apply?
- Development professionals seeking a better understanding of developmental issues, a holistic view of different development sectors and focusing on their own skill enhancement.
- Students and scholars with a zeal to work in the development sector, seeking just and effective social change.
Total No. of Seats:
To enter the programme, students must meet the following prerequisites:
- Bachelor’s Degree in any discipline from a recognized university with 55% marks.
- Where it is a grade point scale, it should be a minimum of 6.0 on a 10 point scale.
- Appropriate English language proficiency.
Admission to MA (SDP) programme will be made on the basis of a Statement of Purpose, past Academic Performance, a Common Entrance Test and Personal Interview.
- Common Entrance Test: 40%
- Personal Interview: 60%
Candidates working in the Industry / Government / Development Organizations are encouraged to apply for the two-year full-time MA (SDP). All those who satisfy the minimum qualifications as mentioned above may be admitted to the programme after an Interview.
These candidates are required to submit, at the time of interview, a Sponsorship Certificate from their employer on a proper letter-head, stating that for the period of his/her study at the University, the candidate will be treated as on duty with usual salary and allowances and that he/she will be fully relieved for the period of study for pursuing his/her studies.
How to Apply?
Application Form is available for download at www.teriuniversity.ac.in. There is also the option to Apply Online directly.
- Date of Issue of Application Forms: 7th March 2010
- Last Date of Issue of Application Forms: 29th April 2011
- Late Date for Submission of Filled-in Application Forms: 29th April 2011
- Online Entrance Test: 28th May 2011
- Interview Date/Week: 19th – 22nd June 2011
- Date of Course Commencement: 26th July 2011
Career Prospects of MA (SDP):
The course aims to prepare students for employment in a range of organizations working in the field of development, such as National and International NGOs, bilateral and multinational financial institutions and aid organizations, grant-giving foundations and corporations, and also social sector initiatives of certain private sector companies.
About TERI University:
TERI University was established and constituted on 19th August 1998 and was granted ‘Deemed-to-be University’ status by the University Grants Commission and notified vide Ministry of Human Resources Development, Department of Education, Government of India (notification no.F-9/19/95-U-3 dated 5th October 1999). The genesis of TERI University is rooted in the comprehensive research, consultancy, and outreach activities of TERI (Tata Energy Research Institute, later renamed The Energy & Resources Institute), a not-for-profit independent research institute recognized globally for its contribution to scientific and policy research in the realms of energy, environment, and sustainable development.
TERI University also entered into a MoU with the School of Forestry & Environmental Studies of the Yale University; Donald Danforth Plant Science Centre, USA; University of Nottingham, UK; Michigan State University, USA; New South Wales University, Australia; Freie University Berlin, Germany; University of Iceland, Iceland and North Carolina State University, USA. These inter-institutional MoUs are aimed at facilitating mutually beneficial exchange of students, faculty, knowledge, resources, and ideas. The university has various post graduate, M.Tech. and Doctoral programme.